Field Trip Lists with Google Docs
Have you ever emailed a list of students for a field trip, event, or some other activity, only to have to email again and again every time the list changes? Why not try the easier way: share a Google Doc!
When you share a Google Doc, everyone on your share list always has the most up-to-date copy. Every time you make changes to the list, anyone who opens the list automatically sees the changes.
- Go to your Google Drive and create a new document.
- Click on Untitled Document and give your document an appropriate name, like "Mr. Reeve's Six Flags Field Trip List"
- Enter the names of the students on your list.
- Click "Share" and change the permission to "Anyone in [my school] can view." Better yet, if your school has a full-faculty list, share the document with the list, and choose "can view." Be sure to check "Notify people by email" (or manually email out the share link) so they know the list is there!
- Now if you need to add or remove names, the changes occur automatically. Staff who view the document always see the most up-to-date version.
- Try a Spreadsheet instead of a Document. It manages lists better, and is easier to sort.
- When adding new names, make them red and put "Added 4/15/14" next to it. When removing names, make the text red and "strike-through"
like thisand put "Removed 4/15/14" next to it.